NicksSticks
NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Drivetrain and Chassis Master, ASE Master Technician
21564301

I have an 02 mini cvt that snapped a belt and ruined the

Customer Question

I have an 02 mini cvt that snapped a belt and ruined the case. I installed a used trans and I replaced the belt in it. Trans will not come out of low range. 30mph at 6,000rpm. I have swapped speed sensor on the case and ratio control valve on the valve body. Has good power, just stuck in low ratio. Any ideas?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Double check and make sure the components including the transmission that was installed are all the correct components for your vehicle.If the incorrect transmission was installed this will cause this fault here.Check for any fault codes in the transmission computer to see if any codes are set that my just need to be cleared out/erased to correct this or diagnosed and repaired to correct this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the correct transmission. There are no codes logged.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This may be a fault with the replacement transmission itself.It may have an internal electrical or mechanical fault that the computer isnt picking up on.This will most likely need tested further with the correct diagnostic test equipment and possibly some specialty transmission tools at a transmission repair facility to locate and repair the fault here.

Since this only occured after the transmission was replaced and no codes are set this sounds like this may be the fault.I do know on some models the transmission adaptations may need learned in as well as some calibrations or programming so you might check into this as well.This usually needs checked and done by a dealer or authorized service center unfortunately.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have called the local transmission shops and no one wants to deal with Mini CVT's. I was hoping a BMW-Mini tech would have some insight on further troubleshooting. I have taken this trans apart and replaced the belt. And yes the fault is obviously inside this trans. It is not Calibration, because it needs high range to perform the calibration. I have troubleshot it to the point where I know it is stuck in low ratio(range). Which could be in limp mode because the trans is seeing something it doesn't like. Or it is telling it to change into higher range, but is unable to. After tearing this apart and finding the current issue, I have done the following. Removed pump to verify pitot tubes and pump are correctly positioned and no problems found. Swapped speed sensors. Swapped ratio control valves. The same problem exists. Not better, not worse with the changes. You can google the problem and find others have had the same issue. However, I haven't seen any posted solutions or t/s steps. If anyone out there knows what t/s to perform next, I'd love to hear from you.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  NicksSticks replied 1 year ago.

Hi I've built 2 of these over the years. One mistake i made both times was lining up the 2 valves in the case to the valve body to enable the pressure to change. You have the manual valve which is obvious then another spring loaded valve that's under pressure of the valve body. Been a year or so but recommend pulling the pan and double checking. If you can get it to engage, the valve body controls all else.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is my second, the first went without a hitch. Which valves are you referring to? The control valve,which is spring loaded, that you have to hold open to install? It rides on the allen headed bolt for the clutch?

That's correct its under some pretty heavy pressure when installing the valve body.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's in there correctly. I'm not sure if the cvt is in limp mode or if it's trying to change ranges and physically can not. If I wanted to test this with air pressure, do you know what ports I would test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate the input. Does anyone on here know how to get to the next troubleshooting procedure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You keep asking for a rating, but you haven't answered my question. Does this mean you can not help me? How do I get another expert to help?