Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

When I go to start my truck I have to almost put the clutch

Customer Question

When I go to start my truck I have to almost put the clutch pedal through the floor to get it to start. Also when I push the clutch in to put the truck in gear if I don't push the clutch all the way and then some it grinds a little bit
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Hi Shane, I'm Clay a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description most likely the clutch pedal support bushings are worn out. At the top of the clutch pedal there are 2 bushings, one on each side of the clutch pedal assembly in between the assembly and the support bracket. The clutch pedal position switch is mounted on the clutch pedal support bracket, if the clutch pedal is out of position during cranking the switch will not close the connection to the starter properly. Same goes for the clutch operation during shifting, if the clutch is not fully disengaged during shifting the gears remain spinning and will grind when going into position. You just about have to remove the clutch pedal to inspect the bushings, there is a spring on the pivot bolt with the bushings to assist in pedal return.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions or comments let me know.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.