Trans_ Service
Trans_ Service, ..................
Experience:  .................
14892859

Have a MY 2006 RAV4 manual. It gets stuck in 1st gear and I

Customer Question

Have a MY 2006 RAV4 manual. It gets stuck in 1st gear and I have to pull really hard to get it out of 1st. Taking off from traffic lights is tricky because cars behind nearly run into me. Had clutch replaced and problem started after clutch replaced. Had master cylinder replaced and problem continued. Mechanic said its in the gearbox but I was wondering if its possible for the clutch plate to be hanging up on the input shaft splines and not allowing either the pressure plate face ore the flywheel face not to release. Answers would be good because its only a matter of time before someone runs up the back of me.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Trans_ Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Your gearshift sticking in first gear would not be an internal problem if it shifts OK with the engine OFF.

I suspect that you have one (or a combination) of the following problems:

Incorrect throwout bearing

No lubrication on the throwout bearing/input tube where the throwout bearing rides is causing the throwout bearing to hang up

the clutch disc is installed backwards

the clutch disc in incorrect (too thick)

The clutch master and slave cylinders are not developing sufficient hydraulic pressure (needs bled or faulty)

The first thing to do here is to see if it shifts OK into all the gears with the engine shut off. If you have a mechanical problem inside the transmission, it should not shift. If it DOES shift ok, you problem lies between the transmission and the flywheel. I suspect that your mechanic failed to replace the throwout bearing, he did not lubricate it, or your slave cylinder is not sending enough pressure to the clutch fork to move the clutch

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer