Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

1998 Audi A6 having transmission issues in 3rd gear...

Customer Question

1998 Audi A6 having transmission issues in 3rd gear... slipping
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

is there any check engine light or the trans display in the instrument cluster all gears displayed instead one gear that you are in shown?

can you explain further any recent repairs or accidents ?

please let me know

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

all gears displayed/highlighted when tranny goes into slip mode

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok that means that there is a fault stored in the transmission control module . VAG COM or a professional scan tool is needed to see what faults are stored and then diagnosis . some code readers will not read manufacturer specific codes . did you have the vehicle scanned?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

see 'already tried section" as I have ross tech scan tool

Ross tech error fault 00297 - Gearbox spead sensor (G38) 03-10 - No signal - Intermittent

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

i do not see already tried? ??? sorry can you elaborate what was done to the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

dropped the tranny pan, replace fluid and filter, cleaned magnets, cleared codes then drove it, same results

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

most likely you have the g38 sensor is bad . i do need a vin # ***** the vehicle so i can get good pictures and diagram to make sure !!

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

VCID: 6CDDE2F71C6A295E91-4B00

grabbed this off my log file... not 100% sure it is the VIN

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

WAUBA34B7WN138629

this is the correct VIN

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

ok there are 2 pic to give you idea what sensor to replace if needed . first at the ecu remove the connector and measure between pins 14 and 42 and see what is the resistance reading ?

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay I am on the road until friday so I wont be able to check the reading. Also where is the ECU located (cant tell from this pic). I assume the second pic is the gear control sensor...

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

both are the same g38 sensor first is the location and the other of how it looks like

the tcm is located under the carpet passenger front in a black protected box . make sure it is dry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the g38 sensor is located at transmission not under passenger seat ??? the TCM (transmission control module) is under the passenger floor/seat ??

so I measure contacts under floor, replacement is at transmission ??

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

the g38 sensor is in the transmission . the pan needs to be removed to gain access to the sensor and located in the right rear area after the pan is dropped.

the tcm is under the passenger front floor under the carpet in a black box. you hae to lift the carpet up to gain access to the tcm