hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 Years Automotive experience,ASE Master & L1 certified. Ford certified trans rebuilder
285738

Can't get my automatic transmission to fit in my 03 mustang

Customer Question

can't get my automatic transmission to fit in my 03 mustang after installing new torque converter
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Hello, first question is why are you replacing the torque convertor? Do you feel the convertor drop into the pump in two stages or is that the problem you are having it wont fully seat or an issue with reinstalling the trans itself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
because i was trying to replace the pump seal but ford in their infinite wisdom decided to use flange nuts instead of bolts and they stripped (which is what they do). i tried using special sockets for stripped out nuts but that didn't work so i had to cut them of through the lousy access hole they have. that is why i had to replace the converter
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Ok so you have a new ford or aftermarket torque convertor and it wount drop into the pump completely? It should drop in two times for it to be fully seated or you are having an issue getting the convertor to line up and sit in the back of the crankshaft when installing the transmission?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i bolt up the transmission the torque converter bolts are all aligned but the torque converter itself is pushed against the flex plate way to tight. there is no side to side play on the torque converter stud in the flex plate hole. when i check the converter depth relative to the bell housing face the converter studs are just barely extended beyond the face. i never tighten the tranny bolts because i like to check that there is nothing binding and everything is fitting before hand. they just hold the tranny up and aligned untill i check
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your saying the converter should drop in twice, well then that's the issue, it's not!!! I kind of figured that but even then I've tried and tried to get that second drop to no avail.
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Yes you have to keep spinning the convertor until it drops into the pump in two steps you will feel it bump in two times and be fully seated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that several times and it would not drop in so i bought another converter, hope it works, putting it in tomorrow
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Ok and make sure when you installed the front pump seal the garter spring didnt pop out and keeping you from fully installing the convertor. Always pack a new seal with grease so the spring doesnt pop out and leak.

Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just doing a follow up, do you need more help with this concern?