Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

Pete, my car won't go faster than 55mph in the ghway. the

Customer Question
hi pete, my car won't...
hi pete, my car won't go faster than 55mph in the highway. the RPMs seem to go really high but the car will still just go as high as 55
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/20/2015
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

If the engine rpm's are rising up high and the vehicle will not go any faster then 55 and it feels like your at the engine limit or transmission limit on the gear it is in this is most likely caused by the transmission not upshifting up into the next higher gear.I have seen this occur before and found issues with a shift solenoid in the transmission itself or the transmission valve body in some cases needing replaced.

I would have the fault codes checked to see what codes are set and once this has been done any codes set will need diagnosed to locate and correct this fault here.If there are no codes set the transmission will need checked/tested to locate which component is causing this fault then from there the fault corrected to resolve this issue.In some cases a simple transmission flush with a flush machine may free up and remove debris from the transmission to allow the transmission to operate properly from there.But if this does not correct the issue or if you do not want to try this at all the transmission will need tested to pinpoint and repair the cause.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Pete, Automotive Mechanic