Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

My 93 nissan pickup has a manual transmission in which i

Customer Question
have just replaced the clutch...
my 93 nissan pickup has a manual transmission in which i have just replaced the clutch. why does it want to shut off when going up hill?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
10/20/2015
Transmission Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Can you please explain what you mean when you say it wants to shut off, are you saying the engine want to shut off and if that is the case does it restart right away. Please explain with full details and we can work from there.

the engine wants to shut off with the gas pedal to the floor

If you are loosing power under load I would start first with installing a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure while the problem is occuring.

i also had a 1/4 tank of gas in it that seemed to run out while i was test driving it... an yes it does crank right up after it shuts off. did i mention i just rebuilt the engine and there is some of exhaust smoke?

Okay try adding some fuel and then check your fuel pressure if it still looses power after you add the fuel.

how do i check fuel pressure?

You need to connect a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel supply line down stream of the of the pressure regulator and read the pressure.

would low fuel pressure produce exhaust smoke? if not, what would be some causes?

No, low fuel pressure would not produce exhaust smoke, what color is the smoke?

white

White smoke can be caused by either your burning oil which usually has a bit of a blue tint to it or coolant which is white like steam. Black smoke is usually due to over fueling causing a rich condition,

i guess it has a blueish tint to it...
what would cause that?
remember i just rebuilt the engine..;
would that be a cause to loss of power going up hills?

If its blueish then its likely oil , my first thought would be either rings have not seated or there not staggered correctly.

i thought i put the top and middle rings on opposite sides of the piston

Well if it pushing blue smoke its usually oil, you may want to give it some time and see if the seat.

see if what?

See if the rings will seat which will seal them if you are sure you got them staggered right.

would there be any other reason for it to smoke like that?
is there a way to check if they are seated correctly with removing them?
would that be the cause of the loss of power while going up hill?

If the smoke is blue then its oil and there is no way to check seating and or the staggering with out pulling the pistons.

Like I said, if its not a loss of engine compression then I would start with installing a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician