Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

2002 Rodeo with the six cylinder. Transmission will not

Customer Question

2002 Rodeo with the six cylinder. Transmission will not shift out of first gear, when it shifts to second just pops out of gear, if I leave it in first it stays in. Took our both valve bodies and cleaned them and checked Ohms on all solenoids and pressure regulator and it all checks out fine, put it back together added synthetic fluid and still have no second gear. I just noticed messing with the winter mode switch when I engage it I have no forward gears, then when I disengage it goes back into gear so I am hoping something related to that? Maybe it starts out in second gear in the winter mode? not sure. Anyway manual shifting does not work. I also cleaned and greased with electrical grease the gear shift lever and switch connected to the transmission. When servicing the trans with new filter and fluid there was no chunks of metal in the pan so I suspect all gears etc to be okay. While it was apart I adjusted the bands to the proper setting just to make sure it was okay. We have no check engine lights so there is no codes to help us. I am now lost and have never been stumped with a car problem before. There is a video that shows how this car is acting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbwveRLV8Bo
The Trans is a 4L30 -E
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

For this concern you need to remove the valve body and install an air test plate and air test the 2nd clutch. I believe your going to find the clutch not able to hold pressure from a failed pressure seal on the clutch piston.

-----------PLEASE READ THIS------------

1. First of all, thanks for using Just Answer, and Thanks for letting me try to help you.

2. Sorry about the wait, we try our best to get to everyone fast.

3. Do not mistake the above or following posts from me as my last one. We can ask each other many questions, and I can post many answers.

4. I base my response on what you tell me, I am not there to see, smell, or hear, so please factor that in.

5. On your screen you see a rating. That is how I'm paid from your deposit for helping you. I am going to keep checking in on you to make sure your pleased with my help. Let me know if your planning to rate at a later date if not now.

6. If you decide to rate BAD it doesn't result in a refund, please respond first so I can help more.

7. I'm here normally 3pm-3am central everyday. Thanks again, Chris (aka-Moose)