Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

I've recently had my cv half shafts replaced on my 07

Customer Question

I've recently had my cv half shafts replaced on my 07 spectra ex standard Trans, and I believe they may have damage my Trans out bearings, with the OEM shafts they only moved about .020-.025" at the Trans end, and now they are moving a good .06-.075" and I watched them removing the old shafts by prying against the trans housing. And I'm thinking that the forces they were applying might have damaged the bearing/race. Also it has started leaking gear oil. It's getting pretty annoying, I've taken it back in twice to get it fixed and it's gotten worse in both occasions. Now any time I hit a bump at relatively low speed I hear it clunking around and grinding. I've checked the hub knuckle bearings and they seem to be just fine, so I'm looking for a second opinion of sorts. Would you come to the same conclusion as I did in thinking that they damaged the bearings by removing the shafts like that, and would those be a possible explanation for the nosie and grinding?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.

It would be very hard to near impossible to damage the differential bearings and pinion gears which support the axle shafts. Often prying and hammering is needed to get the stubborn things to pop out. Cutting a seal upon installation is very easy to occur. It sounds like to me the shafts are possibly aftermarket and are not to the same tolerance and to blame for these issues.

-------------------PLEASE READ THIS-----------------------

1. You have by now noticed you have been charged the question value for asking a question.

2. Please understand, often I have to post many questions (?) or answers to you, to help you with this concern.

3. Also understand I base my answer on what you write, I am not there to see, smell, touch, or hear.

4. Nor do I know what tools you have, or what skills you have unless you tell me.

5. I try my best to be online 365 days a year from 3pm-3am central time.

6. I'm helping you from my home. I do not work for or at Just Answer, nor do they pay me, the customer pays me.

7. I have no control over the time it took someone to first contact you, nor the fees, or emails you get.

8. I want you pleased with the website and me (EXCELLENT / 5 STARS). I would also like to be rated the same. You should see this on your screen.

9. If you rate me good I get paid from your deposit. If you rate bad I'm not paid, though rating bad does not result in a refund.

10. The rating is for me, only me. Rating does not close the post. Your not rating the website, that is done else where.

Thanks for coming here, and giving us and me a shot.

Chris also known as Moose