ebrock63
ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech
Experience:  Over 25yrs experience as Shop manager and tech
3195632

I own a 2011 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon with CVT

Customer Question

I own a 2011 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon with CVT transmission. Recently we have been hearing a rattle sound at low speeds when the car is cold and not fully warmed to operating temperature when you apply the throttle at low speeds. The noise appears to go away when operating temp is reached. The noise appears to come from the area under the engine but hard to pinpoint. Does this ring any bells for you? The car has about 72,000 miles.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

Does it make this noise when cold if idling in park and you rev the engine some? Or only in gear when driving?

Also, have you tried putting it into neutral when making the noise and seeing if the noise is still there or immediately disappears?

Is the check engine light on.

Also, to check for any related service bulletins, I need the 17 digit VIN number of the vehicle