Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

What questions should I ask a transmission mechanic to make

Customer Question
sure I am getting good...
What questions should I ask a transmission mechanic to make sure I am getting good information from him about my repair needs. I have a 2000 Isuzu rodeo and the transmission is pulling hard in drive, so I shift to drive and it goes but when I shift to second and even third to drive it seems to be pulling too hard. So I have taken it in to be checked out by him.
so what should I ask for and what should I listen for that might be suspicious that he is not leveling?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/17/2015
Transmission Mechanic: Trans_ Service, .................. replied 2 years ago
Trans_ Service
Trans_ Service, ..................

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The first thing you need to ask is if he can do a "line pressure test". If he cannot do that, you need to find another mechanic who can. Without knowing what the line pressures, he will will guessing from the onset of his diagnosis. He should be able to produce documentation on the specified line pressures, and then show you the readings on the transmission gauge that he ought to be using. If the line pressures are not very close to the specifications, he will need to remove the transmission and find out why. Normally, sticking valves in the valve body can cause a hard shift, and also cause a loss of pressure. The condition of the fluid is very important. If it is black and burnt-smelling, that is not a good thing. Transmission fluid should be a clear light red colour. If it is reddish and does not smell burnt, a transmission flush (a completer flush of all of the fluid, not just a drain the pan and refill) may be all you need. Dirty/old/contaminated trans fluid can lead to improper shifting, elongated shift points, and a general loss of power. If he is really good, he should be able to provide you with a fluid science report where the fluid is dabbed onto a special piece of treated paper that will show particles. He should be able to explain fluid science to you.

To recap:

The fluid needs to be clear light red. Not brown, not black and not smell burnt

The line pressures will tell him if there is sufficient pressure from the internal transmission fluid pump. He should be able to show you the readings

You may need a transmission flush. If he offers to just drain the pan, seek someone who can do a proper flush of the entire system

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer

Thank you, ***** ***** my car in his shop and he is going to check and call me. After I hear his diagnosis and get my questions answered per you suggestions, if I have further questions, I will email or call you. The information you gave was definitely far more than I knew to ask.

You are very welcome. Glad to help. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Trans_ Service
Trans_ Service
Trans_ Service, ..................