sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

My 2005 Lincoln aviators transmission seemed to have started

Customer Question

My 2005 Lincoln aviators transmission seemed to have started slipping but at around same time speedometer began jumping could both be due to a speed sensor on transmission
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You almost surely have a failed output speed sensor on the transmission. The output speed sensor signal is converted to vehicle speed and is used for the speedometer and it's also used or shifting. Rather than slipping the transmission is most likely going into limp in and taking off in a higher gear, which will happen when the output speed sensor signal is lost. The problem may be the sensor, it's wiring or connection, the sensor being most likely if there are no visible wiring or connection problems.