Jon F
Jon F, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge tech
62301042

I have a 2005 dodge stratus 2.4 I have a issue with the

Customer Question

hi I have a 2005 dodge stratus 2.4
I have a issue with the transmission. the code is u0101 " lost communication with TCM
when the car is hot it gets stuck in 2 or 3 gear and it won't go up or down
also, all the indicator lights in the cluster (PRND21) are circled when this happens
can you please help me with this issue?
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I also have the code p0340 camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction
Expert:  Jon F replied 2 years ago.

Hi, as far as the cam sensor code, the cam sensor is usually the cause for that. As far as the U0101, I think that's going to be a bad pcm. I'm not in front of a computer right now but I will get back to you shortly to confirm about the pcm.

Expert:  Jon F replied 2 years ago.

Ok, pins 11 dark blue/white and 12 red/white of C1 of the PCM should have power with the key in run. If both of those have power with the key in run, and the U0101 is present, the PCM is bad. The TCM is built into the PCM.

Expert:  Jon F replied 2 years ago.

C1 is the farthest left connector on the PCM.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your help so far. I will check the pcm tomorrow morning. In case that the PCM is the problem, what would be the next step? Do I need to take the car to the dealer for reprogramming?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Another question:
"Key in run" means to only turn the ignition switch in to the "on" position and check for power or actually start the engine and then check for power?
Thanks for you help
Expert:  Jon F replied 2 years ago.

Yes the pcm will need to be programmed by a dealer. It won't start until it's programmed. key in run means key on, engine off.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, c1 is the fartest left connector when you stand in front of the vehicle facing it?
One thing you should know is that this problem is intermittent. I've noticed that when the engine is cold it works fine, but once you shut off the engine and start it again it will fail. All the gears in the cluster will illuminate and sometimes de speedometer won't work. Also, it won't pass from first gear
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One last thing to do the PCM test.
When checking the 11 and 12 pins for power. The connector has to be plugged to the PCM or I need to discussion next the connector and check the females?
Or check the pins directly from the pcm
I'm confused
Expert:  Jon F replied 2 years ago.

Yes, farthest left when looking at the connectors. The connector can be unplugged to test for those powers. Just be careful not to jam a pin too far that it spreads the female terminal. You most likely have a bad pcm. There's one PCI BUS wire to the pcm in a different connector and the TCM is internally bussed to the pcm.