Brad
Brad, Dealer Technician
Experience:  ASE Master,(L-1) Certified, Transmission Specialist
10114124

Im adjusting the TV cable on a 2002 jeep wrangler. I think

Customer Question

Im adjusting the TV cable on a 2002 jeep wrangler. I think the tranny is a 32RH. I noticed when i removed the TV cable, the throttle lever, at the transmission moves freely and does not automatically return to a set position. Is this correct or should it have a sprint to it?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Good morning ans welcome to JustAnswer!!!

Here is the directions to adjust the cable:

ADJUSTMENT - THROTTLE VALVE CABLE

A correctly adjusted throttle valve cable will cause the throttle lever on the transmission to move simultaneously with the throttle body lever from the idle position. Proper adjustment will allow simultaneous movement without causing the transmission throttle lever to either move ahead of, or lag behind the lever on the throttle body.

ADJUSTMENT VERIFICATION

1. Turn ignition key to OFF position.
  2. Remove air cleaner.
  3. Verify that lever on throttle body is at curb idle position (Throttle Cable Attachment At Engine). Then verify that transmission throttle lever (Throttle Cable Attachment At Transmission) is also at idle (fully forward) position.
  4. Slide cable off attachment stud on throttle body lever.
  5. Compare position of cable end to attachment stud on throttle body lever:
    • Cable end and attachment stud should be aligned (or centered on one another) to within 1 mm (0.039 in.) in either direction (Throttle Valve Cable at Throttle Linkage).
    • If cable end and attachment stud are misaligned (off center), cable will have to be adjusted as described in Throttle Valve Cable Adjustment procedure.
  6. Reconnect cable end to attachment stud. Then with aid of a helper, observe movement of transmission throttle lever and lever on throttle body.
    • If both levers move simultaneously from idle to half-throttle and back to idle position, adjustment is correct.
    • If transmission throttle lever moves ahead of, or lags behind throttle body lever, cable adjustment will be necessary. Or, if throttle body lever prevents transmission lever from returning to closed position, cable adjustment will be necessary.

ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE

1. Turn ignition switch to OFF position.
  2. Remove air cleaner if necessary.
  3. Disconnect cable end from attachment stud. Carefully slide cable off stud. Do not pry or pull cable off.
  4. Verify that transmission throttle lever is in fully closed position. Then be sure lever on throttle body is at curb idle position.
  5. Pry the T.V. cable lock (A) into the UP position (Throttle Valve Cable at Throttle Linkage). This will unlock the cable and allow for readjustment.
  6. Apply just enough tension on the T.V. cable (B) to remove any slack in the cable.Pulling too tight will cause the T.V. lever on the transmission to move out of its idle position, which will result in an incorrect T.V. cable adjustment. Slide the sheath of the T.V. cable (D) back and forth until the centerlines of the T.V. cable end (B) and the throttle bell crank lever (C) are aligned within one millimeter (1mm) (Throttle Valve Cable at Throttle Linkage).
  7. While holding the T.V. cable in the set position push the T.V. cable lock (A) into the down position(Throttle Valve Cable at Throttle Linkage). This will lock the present T.V. cable adjustment.

NOTE: Be sure that as the cable is pulled forward and centered on the throttle lever stud, the cable housing moves smoothly with the cable. Due to the angle at which the cable housing enters the spring housing, the cable housing may bind slightly and create an incorrect adjustment.

8. Reconnect the T.V. cable (B) to the throttle bellcrank lever (C).
  9. Check cable adjustment. Verify transmission throttle lever and lever on throttle body move simultaneously.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already have that info. You didn't answer my question.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

When the cable is off of the transmission can you push the lever and it spring back? if you can move it and feel the spring tension and it moves back then it's fine..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lever does not spring back when the cable is disconnected, what part am I missing?
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Can you push it with your hand and feel the spring tension in the transmission?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no spring tension
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

If there is no spring tension on the TV lever on the transmission then the valvebody will need to be removed to inspect the TV throttle spring..