ebrock63
ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech
Experience:  Over 25yrs experience as Shop manager and tech
3195632

2004 hyundai santa fe 3.5 awd trouble code 1159 symptoms are

Customer Question

2004 hyundai santa fe 3.5 awd trouble code 1159 symptoms are transmission slips between gears
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 2 years ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

DTC P1159 Variable Intake Target Position Following-Unable To Get The Target Value

The 3.0L and 3.5L engines in the XG300, XG350 and Santa Fe incorporate a Variable Induction System (VIS). The VIS is a secondary set of throttle plates in the upper intake plenum used to increase low end torque while maintaining high rpm performance. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) uses a Variable Intake Motor (VIM) to control the opening and closing of the additional throttle plates called the Intake Control Valve (ICV). At low rpm the (ICV) is closed and, as rpm increases, it is opened a specified amount for optimum airflow

So when it is faulty, it will affect shifting due to loss of low end torque.

You need to check the VIS motor harness connector and wiring for breaks, cuts, bent or broken pins and repair as needed. If ok, then the VIS motor is faulty. It is integrated into the upper intake plenum which means that you will need to replace the upper intake plenum

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks