Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

2012 Kia Soul + with six speed manual transmission. No fifth

Customer Question

2012 Kia Soul + with six speed manual transmission. No fifth gear. Engine revs, no movement. All other gears are working properly. Mechanic said I need new transmission. With all other gears working properly, what are the risks of driving it "as is"?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Most likely a component has broke internally like a gear or similar causing this here.If you continue to operate it there is a chance the component that may have come apart/broke can dislodge and make its way into other transmission components and can cause major problems in the transmission.

You don't necessarily need a replacement transmission.Usually yours can be removed and taken apart for inspection and repair and may be a cheaper option.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.