sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I have a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 Premier edition. The

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 Premier edition. The transmission makes a sound as if I am traveling over rumble strips and a vibration can be felt when it shifts gears at lower speeds 60 mph or less). If I use over drive "off", at low speeds, then the sound is less noticeable then I shift to over drive "on" when I hit about 65mph. This is how I have been driving for a few months. Coincidentally, I had my radiator replaced about 6 months ago and shortly after is when this problem started. My skid control, check engine and ABS lights are all on and won't go off either but I am more concerned about the transmission issue. Any suggestions on what the transmission issue could be? Should I take it to a transmission specialist or the dealer? I know the dealer will be expensive.
Thanks,
Larry
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

You're feeling clutch chatter. Depending on exactly when it happens you could be feeling one of the driving or holding clutches or it could be the torque converter clutch. If it was a driving or holding clutch then it would usually only shudder during specific shifts, unless there is an issue affecting multiple clutches like fluid degradation.

It's more common for the torque converter clutch to cause what you're describing

The issue may be a failure in the affected clutch, it could be incorrect or degraded fluid. If the incorrect fluid was used, the fluid is degraded badly or an additive was used then it could cause clutch chatter. It's possible that it was topped off with incorrect fluid after the radiator was replaced.

The best thing to do at this point would be to flush the trans, making sure the correct fluid is used. After a few hundred miles if the problem is still present and you're sure it's coming from the trans then an overhaul would be required.