sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I have a 2004 Passat 2.8 v6 and when I put it in reverse it

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Passat 2.8 v6 and when I put it in reverse it still shows in park and it triggers the limp mode.. the transmission shifts fine as long as you stay away from reverse.. It does back up no problem but it triggers all the lights on the display so I have to turn it off and restart it and then you can drive forever.. I have replaced the trans range sensor, swapped the tcm with identical part been chasing wires no avail. any ideas?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

The issue is definitely related to the range sensor in some way. It could be shift cable adjustment or wiring, if the sensor was replaced with a new factory part then you should be able to rule out the sensor itself.

Has shift linkage adjustment been checked?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ran through all the wiring nothing corroded, broken or frayed, cleaned all contact points with contact cleaner and the new range sensor is doing the very same thing as the old one.. Cannot see any rhyme or reason to the shift linkage adjustment as P works and identifies, N does not identify D works and identifies 4 identifies, 3 does not illuminate 2 illuminates. and when I put it in reverse or R it shows it in park and that trips up the limp mode and all lights illuminate until I restart. It does shift out great and even back up great in limp mode..

If shift linkage adjustment has not been checked that's the first thing that should be done.