Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  I have been rebuilding automatic transmissions for 25 years
14541291

2001 DODGE RAM 1500 4X4 TRANS CODE 1740 FIX?

Customer Question

Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

what all have you tried/replaced trying to fix this problem?

do you have all gears?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appear to have all gears. I installed the inline cooler check valve (purchased from dealer) on the tranny line to the radiator do to previous owner removed it. I drive it to work and it felt as if warm trans fluid had flowed through both lines. to the radiator and returned. I start it cold and put it in to gear to drive to work and it doesnt seem to engage so I'll put it in to neutral and tap the gas then put it back to drive and it will engage then. Previous owner told me to do that . The check engine light comes on even after clearing it it will come back on again. code 1740. I'm not even sure what transmission i have in the truck. I googled this problem and a sight said to replace the TRANS GOVERNOR PRESSURE SOLENOID and SENSOR. So I ordered it . Its still in the mail.

ok

from the way you explain,it sounds as if your transmission filter is clogged,not letting the cold thick fluid go though it well

after the fluid gets warm and thinner,the fluid gos through the filter better

the check valve was removed for a reason,these were known to stick and cause the fluid not to return to the transmission for lubrication..it is best not to have the check valve

the governor pressure sensor and solenoid are known common probems,,just be sure to replace the old filter also..i think this will fix the problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the filter cause a 1740 to come up? I will go ahead and change the filter at time of solenoid and sensor. What is the manufacturers reason for the check valve?

yes,,i will give you checks/tests for this code..again,you may want to remove that check valve

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogwm7u5597od9zx/0831-dodge-a518-P1740.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/ogwm7u5597od9zx/0831-dodge-a518-P1740.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would you know or know how to find out what trans I have in my 2001 Dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4.?

it is a a518

it should be the a518 46re

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I purchased a , 42RE 44RE 46RE 47RE 48RE HD TRANS GOVERNOR PRESSURE SOLENOID SENSOR KIT BORG . Will it fit my truck? OEM referance number on item is 461720.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it said all trucks 2000 up

yes,,that should be what you need

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'll keep you update. Should be a couple days for the parts to get here. Thanks again Tim., Brian.

you are very welcome Brian

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Note: I've noticed my problem seems to with forward action and not reverse. Still awaiting parts.

ok...just let me know when you get those replaced

thanks