Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

2006 ML500 EPS malfunction and won't up shift.

Customer Question

Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello , have you had the codes read ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My cheap acronym gives me a P0730 incorrect gear ratio. I also bought a iCarsoft can't remember what they were but the DTC library for that one didn't have a discription. I tried to contact them several times with no response.

Ok gotcha, well How was the fluid when removed from the transmission. ? Was there any metal flake ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No metal just dirty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No metal just dirty.

Ok that is a good sign. Well the most common issue with the 722.6 transmission that you have is the conductor plate , it has speed sensors on top that are part of the circuit board and they are the most common failure. I'm not saying that is what you should replace but that is the most common failure , I would like to see a speed sensor code to confirm but that is most likely what you are looking at. I'll send over instructions just in case , so you know what your up against. It's really not that much harder than the fluid and filter change you already performed.

If you look on the instructions to removing the complete valve body assembly one picture shows two circles with a A and a B circles. On rare occasions a snap ring breaks on one of the drive clutch drums. And the pulse wheel does not show in the "window" so when the valve body is removed those rings should be checked and rotated to make sure they stay in the window for the sensors to read off them.

Hope this information helps. Let me know if you need further I will do my best to assist. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a bad front right wheel bearing and a code for a bad front left wheel speed sensor. I like to do things in pairs which is why I changed both from the sensors and wheel bearings. Had a service C to do as well so I changed all 16 spark plugs did a oil change and serviced the transmission replaced air filters and cabin filters as well. All of the service I dictators reset when this was done

Oh I gotcha and I'll admit I uploaded the wrong instructions your transmission is the 722.9 it is very similar both with failures of the speed sensors and the repair process but it's not the same instructions. My apologies. I'll upload the correct ones

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MI e is an AWD...

Yes all ML are all wheel drive.

AWD is not a concern. I'm not sure why you mentioned that ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't know all were AWD was all.

Oh ok lol. So now being on the CORRECT page that you have the 722.9 I can promise you that the valve body electrohydraulic control module needs to be replaced

And it will need to be replaced at a dealer as they need coded and programmed once installed.

And the star diagnosis machine will actually determine if the control module can be replaced on its own or if it has to be replaced with the valve body as well. These were a HUGE issue with the transmissions as they had been new for that year.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in a remote place in Alaska. No Mercedes dealers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Star C3? Would that model be sufficient?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was looking at purchasing that one.

No because you won't have access to Germany for the programming. If there is not dealer near you than its gonna be road trip time. Cause that's the ONLY way to get it taken care of. And you cannot swap used ones as they are vin coded and the car won't start if a different vin is used on the valve body.

To program the system accesses servers in Germany and all the programming and coding is done via the Internet and you have to have special permissions which only dealers have. If there are outside sources than I am not aware of such

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only way here is to fly or swim. Frustrating... $4000 just to ship round trip. :(

Oh man , that is harsh

If you can erase the codes it may or may not run ok for a while to at least make it drivable but it's not a relative fix

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible to send off to be repaired without the vehicle.

I'm not sure it there is anyone out there that can repair these either

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok... well I guess I have to wait until tomorrow and contact a MB dealer. Maybe I can become a listened MB service tech.

Oh? Haha. How's that ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was the head mechanic far a professional race team... I have skills.

Well let me know if you need more info and I hope you get this figured out.

I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will continue to help if you need follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may recieve my credit for assisting you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today I did some more inspecting. The problem was a mechanical malfunction with the transfer case. It had nothing to do with the transmission other than the transmission ECM put the transmission into limp home mode because of transfer case problem.

Transfer case ? That is very strange. What was the issue ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clutch in transfer case slipping.

Wow. Thanks for the info. I have NEVER experienced that it would have ever guessed that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I overlooked it myself. The give away should have been the code P0730 incorrect gear ratio...

Not necessarily. With all the valve body issues these cars and suv's have had unless I have driven the Ml myself I would have never suspected a transfer case let alone clutch. I'm still Leary about what you say. I don't doubt you don't get me wrong but I assume a different issue would arise or rear its head. But again you are the one driving the car not me. Well hope you got it all taken care of , if you can rate my service I would appreciate it. Also if you need anything in the future let me know I'll do my best to help. Sorry I didn't have this fix for you. But now this is added to my memory bank lol. Have a good night. Lou