sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

2008 DODGE RAM 1500 BACKED INTO THE DRIVE WAY AND SHIFTED

Customer Question

2008 DODGE RAM 1500
BACKED INTO THE DRIVE WAY AND SHIFTED FROM REV TO PARK AND THERE WAS A LOUD CLICK COMING FROM THE TRANS. SHIFTED BACK TO REV AND THE CLICK WAS STILL THERE. SHIFTED TO OTHER GEARS BACK AND FORTH AND THE CLICK WAS THERE BUT IT WAS LOUDER WHEN SHIFTING TO DR OR OTHER GEARS
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THE ENG IS A 5.7 MAGNUM, APPROX 34000 MILES ON THE TRUCK, PURCHASED NEW FROM A DODGE DEALER
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
IM GOING TO BED IT IS LATE HERE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ANY IDEA ON THIS TRUCK
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that could be going on. You may be hearing noise from the rear brakes or a loose U joint, it could be normal solenoid noise, or you may be hearing an internal trans issue. I've seen a handful of overrunning clutch issues causing a quick grinding noise when shifting into reverse.

You're familiar with the normal buzzing noise that comes from the trans when shifting into gear, and this is something new that started?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THIS ISSUE STARTED LAST NIGHT WHILE PARKING IN THE DRIVE. THE NOISE IS COMMING FROM THE DIRECTION OF THE TRANS. TODAY I CRANKED IT UP AND THE CLICKING IS LOUDEST WHEN I SHIFT THE TRANS FROM R TO P. MY THOUGHTS ALSO WAS THE U JOINT .REAR BRAKE NOISE I AM FAMILIAR WITH AND THAT IT ISNT.ANOTHER THOUGHT IS COULD THERE BE A SHIFTING ROD COME LOOSE ON THE EXTERIOR OF THE TRANS IF THERE IS ONE. THE SOLENOID NOISE IS THIS A SERIOUS ISSUE AND IS IT INSIDE THE TRANS? THIS IS NO GRINDING NOISE. THIS IS REALLY PUZZLING I JUST CAME IN FROM A*****ALL WAS NORMAL UNTIL I BACKED IN THE DRIVE. NOW I REGRET NOT KEEPING THE LIFE TIME WARRANTY ON THIS TRUCK. THANKS

Are you able to make a recording of the noise?