Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

Completely loss of power when going on a uphill with gas

Customer Question

completely loss of power when going on a long uphill with gas pedal pressed to the floor. I downshifted automatic to 2...nothing...then 1 it is like a part time transfer positioned in low range gear with engine revving loud. then finally to flat road. power back normal
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1981 K5 Blazer Chevy Silverado 4x4 305 automatic (I know the "G" vin says 2 barrels, but the manufacturer added lot of optionals worth over $3,000 in 1981 as I still have an original price & info sticker along sales paperworks. A stock 4 barrels is one of them. The vin # ***** *****). However, there are aftermarket items & all are Edelbrock as far as I know: 4 barrels AFB w/electric choke, intake manifold and open air filter case with K/N air filter. New alternator. New Catalytic converter. I don't see o2 sensors anywhere on the exhaust system. Tranny fluid is fresh & above the low line. So is oil, too. As I mentioned before about downshift to 1, I was going around 5 mph as it continues dropping, it scared the oil out of me with loudness & vibrations.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
I would have the fuel system tested as sometimes over time/age the sock in the fuel tank connected to the fuel inlet line to feed the fuel pump can become restricted.There will still be fuel pressure but under heavy load like climbing a hill there may not be enough fuel volume and will cause this fault here.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got tired of waiting for an answer so, I analyzed in the engine bay and the engine by taking some stuff off to have clear line of vision. I noticed a vacuum hose wasn't connected to vacuum advance unit so I reconnected the hose. The hose wasn't fully secured & sealed, but I gave a drive test...now, on flat street, no problem, but not a long uphill street/highway. No problem going uphill in residential home areas as there was no issue at low speed at around 5mph. Anyway, took the drive test on same long uphill street, it got better, but not 100%...got power going up hill, but it surges or bogs without loss of speed. So I cut the brittle end of the same old hose & reconnected to vacuum advance unit for better grip & seal which does its job and replaced all old/missing rubber caps on vacuum system. Took other drive test on same uphill street, before going on uphill, on flat, the engine running real smooth than before, has a lot of power & quick throttle response...whoa! Now, on the freaking uphill, the problem is solved! I tested on other uphills in streets & highways, no issues! So I want my money back! To make matters worse, I am deaf that I had to rely on my eyes and feeling the vibration to figure it out on my own. :/
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Once again I do apologize for the delay and posted as soon as I saw your question myself.I will send this to customer service for you.
Thanks Pete