Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

My 2005 Silverado 2500 hd, 6.6 duramax has a problem, it

Customer Question
my 2005 Silverado 2500 hd...
my 2005 Silverado 2500 hd , 6.6 duramax has a problem, it skips at low rpm when shifting into high gear the skip goes away at 2000 rpm , I have to drive over 65 mph to get a smooth ride. there are no trouble codes and no other problems , 215000 miles and it runs really good , except for this problem
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
8/6/2015
Transmission Mechanic: Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resoloution. I also do not work in an office awaiting your reply. I run a small business and will do my best to answer quickly. Depending on the day and time there may be a delay in getting back to you.Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same.

Does your fuel mileage seem to have changed? Any black smoke when skipping?

no smoke when skipping and the mileage has lessoned a small amount. I am retired from being an auto mechanic, I was an a s e master for many years hd truck and auto. Also f y I , I have cleaned and regreased the connectors on the engine harnesses that are acessable, in my mind I think it is the wiring because of the skip at low rpm that goes away over 2k. I don't mind paying for a definite and correct problem that I can correct.

DO you have a scanner? Also just an FYI I just fixed one of these with a shorted EGR valve with similar symptoms. Can you unplug the EGR and drive it?

I do not have a scanner, I sold it when I retired and I don't think it was up to date for the duramax Is the e g r easy to get to?
I don't want to waste your time, by your name it reads transmission mechanic, I wanted a duramax specialist

I do not know why it would say transmission expert. They won't let me answer transmission questions. The egr valve is on the right side just forward of the air intake tube

Tool Hut
Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician