sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

My 2003 Optima has just stuck in 2nd gear. Tiptronic won't

Customer Question

Hi, My 2003 Optima has just stuck in 2nd gear. Tiptronic won't work and neither does stopping and restarting.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
Your transmission is in limp in. When the trans controller sees an issue that can cause damage or it believes it doesn't have complete control it will set a fault code and lock you in a single gear.
There are many possible causes for limp in ranging from solenoids, speed sensors, wiring, internal transmission issues and the TCM itself.
The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool to see what fault codes are setting in the TCM. Once you determine what codes are setting then electrical testing will likely need to be done from that point based on what component it's setting a code for.