Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

Dakota sport: i have a 93 dakota v6 automatic thats running

Customer Question

i have a 93 dakota v6 automatic thats running rough and doesn't shift into OD
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello if its still lacking power and not shifting into top then I'd suspect this is a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank. If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,Ideally measure the pressure at the injectors and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it doesn't lack power, runs fine down the road, shifts through the first 3 gears fine and down shifts ok just not into OD, its running rough but doesn't seem to be missing on a particular cylinder,
i dont see my details on here i typed in yesterday?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello
it won't shift into OD if its not pulling sufficent engine vacuum / load so if the fuel pressure is low then the vacuum will also be low
it woudl also be well worth checking for an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.
As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.
Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.
The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
hi
do you still need help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes still researching, haven't found anything yet, did find the tranny has an electronic OD shift solenoid known to stick after sitting a while, concentrating on the rough idle right now and seeing if they are related since both started after the head gasket change
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello
for the rough idel well worth checking the air leak aspect I mentioned earlier