Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Toyota Sienna: I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna with 180,000 miles

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna with 180,000 miles that is displaying the PO500 code and has check engine light VSC and TRAC off lights illuminated. The speedometer and odometer are working but the transmission is starting to shift strangely. Is there a way to find out if the problem is a speed sensor in the transmission or which of four wheel speed sensors is faulty. Obviously with this kind of mileage I would like to attempt the repair myself or my mechanic but going to the dealer if he starts replacing four wheel sensors , the speedometer cluster or the ECU I could exceed the value of the car. How tough is it to test or replace the wheel speed sensors and what are the chances that it is just one wheel sensor? Thanks, Tom
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still need help but can I continue to drive the car with this condition?
The ECU sends a signal to the instrument cluster, and the instrument cluster pulses that signal back thus sending the speed signal to the ECU. This wheel not be a speed sensor issue. its the instrument cluster or the ECU to blame in this case. If you can do wire testing and component removal, I can explain the steps. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris