Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

Mercury Tracer: Auto trans in 97 tracer stuck in park. shifter

Customer Question
Auto trans in 97 tracer...
Auto trans in 97 tracer stuck in park. shifter is not problem unbolted trans cable from shifter enough to slide it off bushing giving it 3/8" play, shifter now moves slightly yet can't pull cable at all. with cable hooked up shifter moves cable mount at shifter as it tries to move stuck transmission. admittedly I only had 3/8" play to work with.2 fuses good, brake lights work,selinod moves when brake pedal is pushed
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
7/9/2015
Transmission Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Can you disconnect the linkage from the transaxle and try to manually shift it out of park with the parking brake set so we can blame the trans or the shifter or cable in this issue? You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
This car is at my friends house. he drove it from buying it and parked it till now 4 weeks later, it work going but not now. I disconnected the trans cable at the trans and the cable and shifter worked just fine, I couldn't move the trans lever with my hand
Thanks for checking that. This indicates the concern is inside the transmission. Next is going to be removing the pan and valve body to see why the manual valve or linkage is binding.
that might be awhile to try, is that shaft controlling the tran goes thru the neutral sensor, can that bind up
The transmission range sensor can bind if internally faulty but I have never experienced one that failed and was able to prevent the shifter movement that the shifter and cable has the strength to place upon it.
Ok, I'll have to get back to you, will any of these problems in the trans be expensive or hard to fix?
If it comes out to be a damaged valve body yes it can get expensive. I work on transmissions for a loving so I am unable to say whether something is hard or not. I would need to know more about the person doing the repairs like if they worked on transmissions before to determine if the job is going to be hard for them.
would I have to pull the trans or can I just change a part from underneath
The trans would not need to be removed, just the pan and valve body.
I'll get back to you, thanks
Your welcome
I fixed it for free, we freed up the shifters brake solinode lever at the pivot point with silicon, the lever that pushes the ignition cable was loose on its pin a spacer something fell off we don't what it was but put a spring in its place. Fixing the tranny was out the question way to expensive for an old car. Instead we put a 1/2" breaker bar on the shaft that goes into the tranny. One of us held the shifter open the other turned the breaker bar. it was hard at 1st but after 50 back and forths it works like new now. So I still think it was that neutral switch jammed frozen, it helped spraying penetrating oil there. What inside the tranny would respond to that technique?
If it were the neutral switch, this would of broken it. It would not longer start in P or N and there would be a warning light on. If it was a concern wit hthe linkage or manual valve in the valve body, the linkage would of bent and the valve scored resulting in pressure loss and soon more extensive transaxle issues.Glad you got it working for now.
what about just the shaft as it enters the tranny. also we tried jacking the car up in front and I tried rocking the tires and was surprised either side tire could rotate while it was stuck in park
On an open differential like the kind used in all front wheel drive transaxles, only one wheel is powered, the one tha thas the least resistance. Its hard to explain but the wheels rolling opposite in park is normal.
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician