Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  I have been rebuilding automatic transmissions for 25 years
14541291

Chevrolet C1500 4x2: 1994 Chevy 1500 5.7l transmission was

Customer Question

1994 Chevy 1500 5.7l transmission was working fine. Came out of po and now will not upshift out of first at any time. will work in reverse but simply stopped upshifting?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist youso,it just holds first??never tries to shift to second at all?
are you there/?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Stays in first will not attempt to upshift. Went from ok to not up shifting in onestop.
ok,,it sounds as if the detent valve is stuck on the 700r4 transmission,,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Now what
lets try this1-Disconnect the tv cable from the throttle body/carb.2-jack up the rear of the car/truck and put the car on jack stand[be sure the rear wheels are off the ground3-start the engine and put the shifter in 1/low4-give it throttle then shift to 2nd,3rd and the od5-it isn’t going to want to shift to 3rd and od,but it will ,just give it more throttle[be careful not to get the car/truck hot]if it doesn’t go the first time,start the procedure over6-after it shifts to od,,stop,put the shifter in od and then give it throttle so that it shifts automaticly7-then install and adjust the detent/tv cable
sometimes this will unstick the detent and should work fine..be sure there is no damage to the cable,,it must be in good shape
If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dumb question, but had leave where truck is, but what are you referring to with tv cable
yes,,the tv cable
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will have to follow up when I get truck up and look at it. Not at location currently, how to reconnect with you? May not be today.
just sign in and go to this question and reply,,i will answer you as soon as im on line
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** with checking throttle valve cable (figured out what you meant by tv cable) little slow, but I'll wake up!
lol,,itb isnt you,,it is me..