Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 HD: I took my boat out and put it

Customer Question

I took my boat out and put it in the water . I pulled up the ramp and went to park the trailer and had no reverse in the truck. There has been no problems and there's plenty of fluid. The truck is a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD with 4 wheel stearing
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry for the long waitdo you know if you have a 65 or an 85 transmission in this truck ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know,which one it is. Is there something I can look at to determine which one it is
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
does the transmission pan look like picture 1 or 2 ?or on the white option label in the glove box or door jam opening what are the M codes on the listed codes ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mt1
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
thank youthe MT1 is a 4L80 transmissionall the forward gears work fine ?is the check engine light on are there any codes set in the computer ?and its physically being shifted into reverse and it just revs up like its in neutral ?i am sorry for all the questions as i want to be sure to give you the correct direction to go
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No problems with the forward gears, no check engine light and yes when you put it in reverse it revs up as it was in neutral. And ask all the questions that you need to. Thanks
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
with NO check engine light on and the fluid full the computer is doing what it should be and the computer is not picking up on any wiring issues or solenoid issues at allif there was any kind of control issue so to say the computer would turn the check engine light oni am assuming the display in the dash says reverse when its shifted into reverse ? if that is correct this narrows this issue right down to an internal problem with either the rear transmission band or the rear band apply pin or a possible issue with the center support inside the transmissionsince all the forward gears work fine the issue i am sorry to say is going to be inside the transmission and the transmission will need to come out and apart to inspect those components i mentioned which will cause NO reverse and all forward gears to work just fine