Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

Chevrolet venture: my 04 chevy venture trans leaks around the

Customer Question
my 04 chevy venture trans...
my 04 chevy venture trans leaks around the torque converter I have alreadyreplaced the seal but it still leaks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
6/30/2015
Transmission Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
I am very sorry for the long waitthe transmission was removed and the big round converter seal was replaced and it still leaks the same as it did before ?can you visually see the transmission fluid dripping or leaking from the seal when looking up or into the seal area ?
The opening between the converter and seal doesn't allow me to see the seal, I can only assume that it's leaking from it since it's the same area it's been leaking from.
thank you for that information
when there is a transmission fluid leak from that area and it is not the lip of the pan leaking it is either the seal or the converter itself or even a worn ridge on the converter where the seal rides or the possibility of the hub assembly that holds the seal the inner bearing is work causing too much up and down play in the converter where the seal rides
since the seal has been changed then either the seal is defective and if it does not have excessive up and down play in the hub where the seal rides then it has to be the converter leaking
the best bet to nail this down is to add some dye to the transmission fluid and run the vehicle for a bit then pull the transmission out and before you slide the converter out pull it back just enough to look and see if the dye is showing it leak from there the seal meets the case/hub or where the converter seals on the inner part of the seal
if both area are not showing dye but the converter itself is then the converter is the leak
What color dye to use on the transmission, where to get , and would food coloring work. How long will it take for you to see the color come out
most local auto parts sell a dye kit what comes with a little black light an some dye
you add the dye to the transmission fluid
the dye will show up bright yellow with the black light
depends on how bad its leaking usually a*****test should get it to leak enough for the dye to leak out with the fluid
Thank you for your help, I will try this
anytime
dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !
Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician