Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

Chevrolet Fleetmaster: , we are trying to install a transmission

Customer Question
Hi, we are trying to...
Hi, we are trying to install a transmission on a 1947 Chevy. Its nearly in - but the spline does not go in all the way. We're sure is not lined up perfectly. Any tips or tricks regarding a sure way to get the alignment?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
Forgot to mention - there are NO alignment pins of any kind visible.
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/25/2015
Transmission Mechanic: Virtual Wrench, Master Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Auto Mechanic
Did you use a clutch alignment tool to align the pressure plate to the pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/tool.PNG
Greetings, Thank you for your reply - However, we did not touch the clutch or bell housing at all.
The transmission is small - and according to what instructions we found - it is removed up through the
floor instead of dropped from below. This is how we removed the old transmission, which wasn't much
of a problem at all. We managed to (partially) re-install the transmission the same way, down through
the floor.For some reason, we managed to insert the front spline of the new transmission - but it only slid in about half way and
jammed. We're assuming that it is slightly mis-aligned. We didn't use any lube or grease on the spline shaft
up to this point. Until we hear back from you with a possible solution, we will try this remedy. There are no alignment
pins anywhere to be seen. Please advise asap.
I see now. What usually happens is the clutch disc gets off center of the pressure plate when moving the trans around. You are right, there is very little clearance between the end of the trans shaft and the pilot bushing inside the end of the crankshaft and when wiggling the trans around, its real easy to move the disc just a tad and it wont line up. Usually just using side to side and up and down SMALL MOVEMENTS will put the disc back in the center. If not, you will have to insert the tool(dab of grease on the end) and loosen the pressure plate bolts (dont have to remove them)and wiggle the tool until it goes into the pilot bushing and then tighten the pressure plate bolts.
I've done a few of these in my years and know exactly whats happening here.
Larry
I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.
Did you have any further questions?
If not,please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.
Larry
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Auto Mechanic