Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge Grand Caravan Sport Van SXT: 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan,

Customer Question
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.8L...
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.8L, 130K miles, automatic transmission in limp mode, bits runs smoothly with no noise and plenty of power.
I appreciate the help.
STATUS:
I have no history on the van. My brother got it recently without chipped keys and we now have that restored and running.
We serviced the transmission, oil change, air filter, plugs, wires, and replaced the battery terminals.
Whiny noise from pulley side of engine - maybe belt idler pulley.
Engine runs smooth and strong.
The question / problem:
Engine light on, gave P0700 code which took me to P0888 code of the transmission.
I checked the transmission cut out relay and no click when turning on key.
1 terminal hot, low voltage from transmission signal, ground barely there.
I repaired ground at inside of fuse box at that relay, replaced relay and replaced a wire in the harness from back side of fuse box to the midway of the harness going to the transmission brain.
Now relay works. P0888 gone, now new codes.
(At this time, I am concerned fuse box is bad besides transmission problem.)
Codes I am working with now:
P0562 Low Battery Voltage
P0750 LR Solenoid Circuit
P0755 2/4 Solenoid Circuit (41TE, 42LE)
P0755 2C Solenoid Circuit (45RFE
P0760 OD Solenoid Circuit
P0891 Transmission Relay Always On
At first I was going to replace the solenoid pack, but the idea of having a bad fuse box and the condition of the rest of the harness still lingers in my mind as the problem.
My concern is whether or not the transmission is good. I don't want to just throw a part at it, but I don't have too much more time to continue fixing.
Doing this as a favor, have not been a mechanic in 15 years :)
What are the steps you would do next?
... Replace fuse box because of it having a bad internal ground, see if codes remove, if codes remain chase harness/wire ends and make sure they are clean and in good condition ... and then if that does not remove codes replace the solenoid pack.
I also plan to replace the input and output speed sensors.
Thank you for your time
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Transmissions
6/24/2015
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
With a low voltage code set here this can indicate a fault with low voltage or poor ground to the vehicle electronics.I would check the battery cables at the battery as well as to where they lead to for any issues and repair as needed.I would also check the power feeds into the fuse box and fuse box wiring for any issues needing repaired as this can cause this fault here.
Thanks Pete
Wow. You answered my question with what I already told you that I have done.Absolutely Useless.I don't know if you have actually read the details of what I wrote. I have swapped the fuse box and dropped 3 codes to P0881.
Is P0881 the only code coming up now?
Sorry for frustration. I know what it is to give time and answers without pay that's why I don't have a problem paying for good information.The code is P0891. I mistyped the earlier code. It is the only trans code showing. Also with trans engaged in drive & brake held, an eirie "animal" whining comes from trans. It eventually fades. You would swear there was a mouse being tortured.
The code you have set here is for the transmission relay always on.Below are the diagnostics for this code.The links provided below you will have to copy and paste into a new web page or web tab to view them
The noise may be the transmission pump as this can be common when it starts to fail to cause this exact noise here or it may be an issue with the electronics for the transmission with the code that is set here.
symptom:
P0891 -TRANSMISSION RLY ALWAYS ON
When Monitored:
When the ignition is turned from the "off"position to the "run" position and/or the ignition is turned from the "crank" position to the "run" position.
Set Condition:
This DTC set if the Transmission Control Module (TCM) senses greater than 3 volts at the Transmission Control Relay Output circuits at the TCM prior to the TCM energizing the relay Note: Due to the integration of the Powertrain and Transmission Control Modules, the transmission part of the PCM has its own specific power and ground circuits.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ckaf7dok6g1clvp/r-06-25.gif?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zd9ynbfk1jn51rh/re-06-25.gif?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/irfrfsua9agvkjn/rel-06-25.gif?dl=0
POSSIBLE CAUSES
- TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY STUCK CLOSED
- TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE
- TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE
- POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE
- INTERMITTENT WIRING AND CONNECTORS
Thanks Pete
My apologies, need to leave town for a week. When I get back, I will chase the info you sent and let you know.How do I contact you then?
No problem.You can come back to this post here when your ready.
Thanks Pete