Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

Transmissions Landrover LR4: My 2011 LR4 transmission's shows

Customer Question
My 2011 LR4 transmission's shows...
My 2011 LR4 transmission's shows fault code P2704-04 - Trans friction element E applied time range. What is the most economical way to repair this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
6/19/2015
Transmission Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer
Hello I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all thepositions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park. You can top up thebox through the dipstick tube if required and make sure you use the correct oilfor your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommendeda change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - theywill advise you on the updated fluid to use.. If that’s all OKthen check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connectorin turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox isin good condition with no chafing or frayed wireThen - you shouldtop up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok -then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside-- refill and retry it..
Hi
do you still need help ?
Hi Matt, it was taken in to an official Landrover dealer and I assume they checked all the things you mentioned. I looked over the service records and there was no mention of transmission fluid replacement. However, I am meeting with them tomorrow and will check with them and get back to you. Are you familiar with Landrover cars?
Hello
I've worked on a few and my father owned a range rover so reasonably up to speed
I'm suprised that the fluid hasn't been changed as this is basic 1st step in repairing this sort of issue
Matt, Engineer