Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

EPC light and stuck in Park. About 9 weeks ago the Parking…

Customer Question
EPC light and stuck in...
EPC light and stuck in Park. About 9 weeks ago the Parking Brake Malfunction Light came on. Then about 4 weeks ago the EPC light came and also the stuck in Park problem. The first few times I could I just cleared the codes and it would release. After a
while that didn’t work then I found the shift override button under the ash tray so I can drive it. FIY: Sometimes when in reverse it shutters and almost dies. I have cleared codes and stated the car and after approx 2 minutes a noticeable uptick in idle and
the EPC light is thrown. Most of the time the EPC light comes on after a drive and as soon as I put the gear into Park. Things I’ve tried: Replaced the battery. Noticed when starting sometimes the voltage would go down Into the 7s. Replaced the Tail Light
Bulb Socket Holder passenger side. Did a capacitance discharge. I took the alternator off and rebuilt and the voltage reg. replaced. Did the Throttle body alignment.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Transmissions
6/17/2015
Transmission Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
the brake light switch on the pedal is the most common cause for this issue, also cleaning or replacing the throttle body, it always helps to to have a fault code to be certain but those are the 2 most common issues with the epc warning and being stuck in park.hope this helps, Lou. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉
Keep in mind that rating me does not end the chat, it simply credits me for assisting, i will still be here to help if follow up information is needed , Lou.
ok, there you go , thanks!! the trans range sensor is gonna be a issue, also the cluster may be at fault since you have communication errors, so i would change the trans range sensor and go from there, that is excellent info man, vag is a great tool to have,. the trans range switch may have faulty wiring or just be bad altogether, its located inside the trans on the valve body. hope this helps, when it decides it does not want to start try neutral and see if it will start, but the issue you are describing does coincide with the trans ranger switch. hope this helps.
Can you give me a little more info on the part and is this a DIY?
actually its not a diy cause the trans valve body needs to come down and the fluid needs to be filled with a special tool and fluid, and is very temperamental to temperature. of all the work on the cars i would not suggest trans work for the average diy guy.
Lou, how about we do this "I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance".
Ok no problem. Appreciate you asking , would you rather I provide instructions or what ? I would still like to help side I have access to the information ? If not totally up to you. Lou
I want to try someone else. Thx
Ok. No problem. Hope it all works out. I will opt out so please do not respond or another expert won't be able to see your listing. Take care. Sorry I could not provide Better assistance.
I have opted out another expert should be along shortly. Hope it all works out. If you need me just reply back to me and I will do what I can. Lou
Looking for someone that can help me use the VAG-COM software to help pinpoint this problem?
Please refund my money.