Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Cadillac 99 Escalade: 99 Cadillac escalade*****...

Customer Question

99 Cadillac escalade*****... I had engine and transmission overhauled two years ago. Engine is fine but now transmission does exactly what I brought it in for 2 years ago. When I make a sharp left turn ( or right sometimes) ( im in 2 Hi)....the transmission drops into very low gear and it is very difficult to steer ....then on occasion I hear a very loud "clunk" as it slips back out of gear. Then sometimes like today so far..it runs perfectly fine.
I don't want to take it back to the transmission place as they didn't fix the real problem and when I did take it back they said the transmission is fine but the front end needs repair. I spent 1100 on the front end but still.....
Can I disconnect the four wheel drive?????
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry your having this problemfrom the sounds of this the encoder motor on the transfer case is shifting the transfer case when it should not be or an internal failure inside the transmission is causing this issuethis has the selectable 4HI and 2HI ? is this AWD option also ?