Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Corona: Dear,I came to know about your expertise and request…

Customer Question
Dear, I came to know about...
Dear,
I came to know about your expertise and request for help
I bought Toyota Corona 1993 few month back, 4A-FE engine 1587cc, with C50 Manual Transmission as written on steel plate in the hood. this car gives me 9.5 Km/Ltr in City and 12.5 Km/Ltr on highway at speed of 110Km/Hr without any hard acceleration.
After buying, i changed the engine oil, brake oil, gear oil etc and even after spark plug change and tuning, it gives same mileage. Same mileage was told to me by last owner.
Exhaust Gas analyzers show that every thing is fine with respect to engine (CO comes at .26%). it has 185/70/R14 Dunlop tyres with steel reams.
Check light turns off upon engine start. Clutch plate is not slipping. speedometer is fine. wheels are aligned and balanced. it feels heavy in gear but very light in neutral gear, hopefully no brake drag. inlet valve clearance around 0.20mm and outlet 0.25mm. I made the compression test, which resulted in about 190 psi in all cylinders. After 2500 rpm in all gear it shows good power. EGR is removed and disconnect and lines are blocked, same in other coronas.
My ecu has 3 ports, 26 pin + 16 pin + 12 pin. Color of ECU Sticker is Orange. 4AFE written on it but nothing about manual or auto transmission. (Toyota 89661-2B390,(###) ###-####, it is Denso made in Japan.
Every mechanic (+ Toyota Islamabad) says that do not expect more than than but i know few guys having same car with 15 to 16 Km/Ltr on long and 230 Km/60Kg CNG.
1 more thing please ... in 5th gear at 2000 RPM with 185/70/R14 tyres the spead is 90 Km/Hr and at 3000 RPM the speed is 130Km/Hr. Do you see any problem in gear ratios? Meter is working accurately.
Regards,
Zubair
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Transmissions
My main problem is Km/Ltr.
Answered in 2 days by:
6/14/2015
Transmission Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 3 years ago
Matt, Engineer
Hello
to get 12.5 km out of a litre of fuel is 56 miles to the gallon
which is excellent for this car and I don't think that you have a problem
I'd say are you sure that your fellow owners are not quoting the milage in ltrs per 100km?
as this is the industry standard way of quoting fuel consumption
also your gear ratios sound correct to me, maybe a little on the high side but not excessive which is most likely down to the tyre wall size