Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Volvo 740 Turbo: 1087 Volvo 740 turbo, engine accelerates nicely…

Customer Question
1087 Volvo 740 turbo, engine...
1087 Volvo 740 turbo, engine accelerates nicely whin in neutral. When in gear there is decided power loss when attempting accelerate with strange wooshing soud under the hood. With pedal floored turbo dial to the extreme but the car reacts with increasing 'drag' and unable to ascend a hill at more than 5 mph.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 4 days by:
6/15/2015
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If it runs or accelerates properly in park or neutral and if this has the automatic transmission installed on your model this is usually an indication of a transmission fault putting the drag on the engine.
In some cases this is the transmission torque converter itself that can fail and cause this here and in other cases I have seen the splines on the input shaft in the transmission damaged causing this.
If this does have the automatic transmission I would have the transmission checked to see if it needs repaired to correct this here.
Thanks Pete
Thanks but I have now found a mechanic confident that it is a problem between fuel pump and fuel relays. Exhaust system and transmission seems to have been effectively ruled OK.