Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2004 chrysler pacifica awd will go in drive 100

Customer Question
my 2004 chrysler pacifica awd...
my 2004 chrysler pacifica awd will go in drive for about 100 feet then stop if you turn the car off and crank it back up will go another 100 feet then stop and will not do anything in r or autostick gears
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Transmissions
6/10/2015
Transmission Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
This is usually caused by a restricted filter. It's possible that there is enough debris in the trans that it has restricted the replacement filter. What's happening is either you have clutch failure or line pressure is dropping causing the trans to disengage. Usually what causes the symptoms you're having is low line pressure because the pump can't pull enough fluid through the filter.
You can try replacing the filter another time and see if it helps. If there is enough debris that it has plugged two filters in quick succession then you have a clutch, geartrain component, or the torque converter is failing.
Other than the filter, what could be done is measure line pressure first before pulling the trans and that will give a little more insight, but the problem will require trans disassembly/overhaul or replacement.