Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1999 Dodge Truck, 318, 2wd, Transmission Question

Customer Question
Transmission shifts good, up,, and...
1999 Dodge Truck, 318, 2wd, Transmission Question Transmission shifts good, up,, and down,, does not slip. When running on the highway for 30 to 45 minutes at 75 miles per hour or so,, the OD kicks off. First noticed the problem when I punched it hard
to avoid a traffic accident, and when the truck downshifted the OD light came on. It will not reset with the button. If I disconnect the battery, it clears the codes and everything works fine again. I will run no problem if I keep the rpm's below 2000,, say
60 mph or so. Took it to a shop to get an idea,,, he says,,, SNAP RING, REBUILD THE OVER DRIVE UNIT. He did no diagnostic work on the truck. Only other issues - is that I have left the truck in the woods for 4 years with a bad radiator. I pulled it out 6 weeks
ago, replaced the radiator, and shortly after this problem with the O/D cropped up. Trans fluid looks good, the high temp light does not come on. Truck does not have a trans cooler, as it is 2wd. If you have an answer other than,,, take it to the shop and
let them rebuild my O/D unit,,, I'm all ears.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
6/9/2015
Transmission Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Hi
First thing I need to know is what codes are stored? With the current information I nor anyone can make an accurate diagnosis, only an assumption based on this info/symptoms. The overdrive snap ring issue is common and can cause this but again, I need more info to confirm.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Roger that. I'll get the truck to throw codes tomorrow and use the key on,, key off,, read it off the odometer and write down the codes.
Thanks
ok, could not get the tranny to fail until today. I drove 30 minutes at 75mph, and then the O/D OFF light came on, and it fell out of over drive. I slowed down, but had the rpm's up around 3000 for 3 miles. Pulled off, and tried to get the codes from the odometer. I could not get any codes. I smelled tranny fluid. I looked under the truck, and there was about 1/4 cup of tranny fluid on the ground and blown back under the truck. It was actively dripping from around the bell housing. I disconnected the battery, let it sit, and the O/D was operational when I cranked the truck. I drove 5 miles at 60 mph, less than 2000 rpm. I pulled over and checked the tranny. It was wet from before, but no active leaks at the bell housing. I got back on the highway and drove 45 minutes at less 2000 rpm. No active leaks.SO, could this be a pressure regulator messing up,,, or could replacing the radiator now require that I install a tranny cooler? Or, just keep focusing on getting the O/D unit rebuilt,, snap ring?I just hate to toss money at the thing, it's a 1999. And I don't want to pay to rebuild the O/D unit, if all I have is a sensor or regulator going bad. I'm sure you have heard all this whine before, but I am at a loss.My experience with tranny's is minimal other than just changing a filter, or a clutch on a manual.
You will need to address this leak as well. Since it is an intermittent leak that comes and goes, I suspect the converter clutch is not working resulting in high trans oil temp and the front pump seal is leaking as a result. I believe in your case a rebuild is the best option here.
Damn,, there is less than 5K miles on the last rebuild. Granted,, it sat a long time.... but no miles.
Are there different radiators for that truck,, one for trans cooler,, for for no trans cooler. If I have the wrong one,, could that make these problems happen?Could the high heat from the converter clutch make the O/D switch off?
All radiators available show a trans cooler in them with the option available for an auxiliary cooler. A trans heat issue is only going to be a factor on a correct operating transmission when your in traffic or towing. If your not doing those then addressing an overtemp issue does not begin with the cooler since the trans is to blame. Yes high trans oil temp can cause a code, light, and shfting concerns.
Roger that. So,,, the guy who said he would just rebuild the O/D tail unit is not going to fix my problem. And your suggestion is to start shopping for a full rebuild and new torque converter?
I do not know if the previous guy was aware there was also an overheating and leak issue, or at least at that time. There is more going on now than you originally started with. Look for a rebuild or rebuild yours.
I'm thinking maybe just buy a rebuild. You got a suggestion on places to order from? Figure I'll need the entire unit, plus a converter. What you think?
There are plenty of rebuilt transmissions on ebay.
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician