Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln Continental: I HAVE A 1999 CONTINENTAL THAT OUT OF…

Customer Question
I HAVE A 1999 CONTINENTAL...
I HAVE A 1999 CONTINENTAL THAT OUT OF THE BLUE WHEN STOPPED AT A TRAFFIC LIGHT IT WON'T MOVE , PUT IN PARK AND UP AND DOWN SHIFT THROUGH GEARS AND IT WILL RE ENGAGE . IT DOES THIS ONLY OCCASONALLY (3 TIMES OVER THE LAST 1 1/2 YEARS) ANY SUGGESTIONS OR RECOMMENDATIONS.
THANKS *****
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Transmissions
6/7/2015
Transmission Mechanic: hdgene, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician
Hello It sounds like you have a small crack in the forward clutch piston in the forward clutch for the transmission. They originally used an aluminum piston in the clutch pack that would crack and cause a loss of engagement sitting at a stop in forward or reverse. So either the transmission would need to be overhauled and install the updated steel forward clutch piston or replace the transmission
Thank you very much I appreciate the info how long will a transmission last under this condition
No real timetable, once the aluminum piston starts to crack it could be days or weeks, depends on how hard you drive the vehicle. Once it cracks, it will get bigger and lose all pressure in the forward clutch and no movement will occur
Be sure to hit accept and leave a positive rating if i was helpful
Hi, do you need more help with this concern?