Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2006 Mazda 6 S (3.0L V6 automatic transmission). My son shorted…

Customer Question
2006 Mazda 6 S (3.0L...
2006 Mazda 6 S (3.0L V6 automatic transmission). My son shorted out the reverse backup lights. Checked all inside cabin fuses and swapped relay switch in fuse panel under the hood. Replaced both reverse light bulbs. Still no power to the reverse lights. Where else can I look?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Transmissions
6/7/2015
Transmission Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If there is no power to the lamps then you have a wiring issue, a failed reverse lamp relay, or loss of power to the relay.
If the circuit was shorted to ground then it would have blown the fuse that powers the reverse lamp relay. Can you locate the 15a 'meter' fuses in the box in the left kick panel, replace it with a known good fuse and see if the lights work?
Thanks for the reply. I had already used a fuse tester on every fuse in the driver's side kick panel. Nevertheless, I retested and replaced the Meter fuse per your suggestion. Still no power to the reverse backup lights.I swapped the Reverse lamp relay with a known good/working Fog Lamp relay. They were the exact same relays switches. The problem stayed with the Reverse lamp. The Fog lamps worked using the Reverse lamp relay. Therefore, I must conclude that both relays are good.I am at a loss... There is still no power to the reverse light sockets. Just to make sure the reverse light bulbs and sockets work, I added power to the red/yellow cables connecting the reverse light sockets and they lit up.Is there anything in the reverse light circuit that I've missed? I suppose I will need to get a meter to test the relay to see if it opens/closes when shifted into reverse. What exactly sends the signal to the relay to let it know to open/close the circuit? Is there anything on the shifter?Any help is appreciated.Thanks,Victor
You mentioned loss of power to the relay as a possibility. What would I look for if this is the case? Thx
Does the relay have two terminals with power?
Sorry, but I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Two terminals with power? I haven't tested the relay switch with a meter yet or the relay connector.
Just curious but when you shift into reverse, what is sending a signal to the relay switch? What connects the shifter to the relay switch? Is there another device that could have been shorted out?
The only thing that should happen if the reverse lamp circuit shorts to ground is a blown fuse. The fuse is what protects the circuit.
If you ground the alligator clip of a test light and probe the terminals that engage the fuse do two of them have power?
I will have to get back to you on Wednesday or Thursday. Sorry for drawing this out a few more days. Thanks for your help.
You're welcome!