Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Diagnostic Technician
21364095

Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 4x4: MY TRANSFER CASE WILL NOT

Customer Question

MY TRANSFER CASE WILL NOT GO INTO 4 WHEEL HIGH FROM*****
HAPPENED ABOUT A YEAR AGO. WE FINALY GOT IT TO SHIFT. I WAS PUTTING IN 4 WHEEL ABOUT ONCE A MONTH FOR THE LENGTH OF A GRAVEL PARKING LOT.
NOW IT WILL NOT DO IT. I DONT WANT TO PUSH THE HANDLE TOO HARD
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
What normally occurs on these transfer cases is one of two things; either the shifter slips out of its fork position or the bushing in the shifter falls apart.
If you are experiencing resistance in moving rather than looseness, odds are it has slipped out of the forks.
What you do NOT want to do here is try to force it, as things can worsen if you do that.
What you DO want to do is take the shift lever out and inspect the fork positions and the bushing on the shift lever, as one of them is nearly certain to have an issue.
With the vehicle in neutral and the console removed you will see the rubber boot around the shifter with some bolts holding it on, then when that is removed you will see the shifter where it attaches to the top of the transfer case.
There will be three bolts tight around the shifter and then four bolts further out at corners around the shifter. DO NOT touch the three bolts tight around the shifter. If you do you risk dropping pieces into the transfer case which will require removal to extract.
Remove the four bolts at the corners and pry the top plate off (it has some light adhesive holding it) then slowly lift up the shifter looking underneath to see where it is aligned and if there are bits of bushing everywhere.
If the bushing is damaged, you will need a new one... and it is only available as part of the shifter from Mitsubishi. You can likely find something else that will work from an auto parts store, but from Mitsubishi it is shifter-only and no spec on the bushing at all.
If the bushing is intact, then it probably just slipped out of the forks... looking in the opening you should see the two forks and can line them up (if not centered below the shifter) then slowly drop the shifter into position and restore operation.
The shifter slipping out of the forks is far and away the most common problem here. It happens a lot on its own, but is extremely common to occur if the lever is ever operated in motion. It just pops right out sometimes. The bushings are common to fail, but not nearly as much as the fork situation. Anything beyond these two conditions would require removal of the transfer case and tear down to determine why the actual fork shafts are not moving etc if the shifter is working properly. Luckily this is rarely the case... its just about always the shifter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THANKS ***** TAKEN ME THIS LONG TO FOLLOW UP ON YOUR ANSWER. I AM NOT A MECHANIC BUT I WILL SEE IF I CAN GET IN.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Doug replied 2 years ago.
No problem at all, good luck!