Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Mercury Grand Marquis GS: 99 Grand Marquis GS with 190,000

Customer Question

99 Grand Marquis GS with 190,000 miles has just developed a high pitched squeal when the car is in drive. When I shift to neutral it stops even while coasting. No sound while in Park or Reverse. The squeal varies in pitch as I move the accelerator up and down but when I hit the pedal hard the squeal stops. I chocked the wheels and put the car in gear while I wiggled the computer module. The sound seemed to modulate as I wiggled it back and forth. Have you ever heard of a module doing such? What is involved with replacing a computer module? Would it be possible to buy one at a local junk yard and use it as I do not plan to keep the car that much longer.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
it would be very odd for a module to make such a noise especially in the scenario you mentioned. If you do replace the PCM, a junkyard matching part number one will work, but a dealer must replace it because programming is a must.
Any warning lights on or driving issues noticed?
If you remove the belt and take it a for 4 minute max test drive, does it still occur?
Will it occur on a rack or stands, if so is it coming from the transmission, possibly a filter loose or valve issue?
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris