Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

I have a 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer and all of a

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer and all of a sudden last night when I was coming home it wouldn't shift into overdrive. It shifts just fine in all other gears except overdrive. Any suggestions?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.
Hi
When its time to shift from 3rd to 4th does it not attempt to shift, or does it slip and result in reving high, or does it act like 4th is neutral?
Rarely is only a 4th gear issue a solenoid issue nor valve body issue. It normally ends up being the overdrive band broken or burnt or the servo seals bad.
Any warning lights on or flashing?
Any concerns with the trans oil, color, level, or odor?
Is the trans pan square with the 2 rear corners angles off or different?
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't attempt to shift. There is no warning lights, color and level of transmission fluid is normal and I will have to get back to you about the pan. Is still ok to drive if I don't go over fifty? I will take it to the shop tomorrow.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just got back from a 150 mile trip and everything seems just fine now. It shifted right even into overdrive. What would make it work one time and sometimes not the next?
I still need to know which transmission you have by pan identification to confirm for sure what caused this. Most likely this was caused by a valve in the valve body sticking and not allowing fluid to flow to the components used for 4th gear (servo, clutch, band, trans model dependent).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It appears that the pan is mostly square with all four corners somewhat rounded.
Thanks that means its a 4R70 transmission not the 4R100. This model uses a servo and band to achieve 4th gear. Neither of those could be intermittent so its pointing most towards a sticking valve or weak spring in the valve body.