Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Ram Diesel dually: I haven't started my truck since Nov. I

Customer Question

I haven't started my truck since Nov. I can start it but cannot get it out of Park - won't shift
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
The first thing you can do is make sure that the brake lamps operate when pressing the brake pedal... Try this and post back the results... I have some ideas but will be able to tell what needs to be done next if I know whether or not the brake lamps are operational...
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok will do that now. Sorry but I live in CA, so it is late for you. Be right back.

Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.
I'll be here, Just post a reply when ready and we can go from there...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Brake lights work.

Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.
Sounds like you brake shift interlock may not be working, this unit is attached to the shift cable under the dash panel behind the knee bolster. It is a small solenoid attached to the shift cable with 2 black wires leading to a 2 way connector. You will need to check to see if this solenoid gets power with the key in the run position and while pressing the brake pedal...
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do I check to see if the solenoid gets power?

Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.
You need a test light, remove the lower panel from the instrument panel (Knee Bolster) and access the connector for the solenoid and disconnect it, using the test light or multimeter, hook one lead to each of the terminals on the harness side of the solenoid and turn the key to the run position, check for power, then press the brake and see if there is a change in the reading or of the light turns on and off with brake pedal pressing and releasing....
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I will have to do this tomorrow. I will let you know then. I have to get a test light and do this tomorrow.

Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good... I'll be here...
I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.
Thank you...
Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok I fixed the problem. Turns out the drive side battery was only 62% charged. I put a charger on it till it reached 100% and then it was no problem with the gear shift. I guess 6 months is a little too long to let the vehicle sit. Thanks for your help though - it was greatly appreciated.

Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.
Cool, Glad you got it going...
Remember, if you need help in the future, you can always request me through My Profile Page(Bookmark this link). Begin your question with “Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it
Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!
Robert