Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

A mechanic of lincoln diagnosed that a gearbox of lincoln ls

Customer Question
2001 shall be replaced with...
A mechanic of lincoln diagnosed that a gearbox of lincoln ls 2001 shall be replaced with a new whole set from manufacture. A mechanic did not want to repair as it will take time.
Could you please advice me, what shall they have to do after replacing the gearbox for a quality control on the road test? is there any checking list after replacing the gearbox by a the mechanic? Please share with me the list so I can make an agreement with the mechanic.
Thank you and regards
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Transmissions
5/11/2015
Transmission Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There isn't really a checklist that would be completed after replacing a transmission, it would simply be driven to ensure the trans is operating correctly.

After replacing it they will simply need to take it for a test drive. It will be driven when cold and should be driven until at operating temperature to make sure up and downshifting is smooth.

If it shifts smoothly, there are no leaks and no fault codes set then the repair can be considered complete.

I see. there is no a checklist but just simply be driven on the road.

how about the speed / accelaration in a automatic mode and manual mode, up to how many KM/hours the speed should be run during the test drive? 120KM/hrs? 140KM/hrs?

I complained the quality control after replacing with the new whole set of gear box. Because, I felt the trans (in matic mode) was vibrating when the speed reached to 80km and more. I also tested trans in a manual mode but it was hard to change 1, 2, 3, 4 n 5 and suddently the power became weak and off. I tried to restart the engine and it was OK but the power weaken. I became disappointed with the new whole set of trans. Yesterday, I returned the car to the garage for further observation.

In your professional experiences, what was going on with the new transmision replacement above. and what should I do with this?

Did they cheat me by replacing certain parts of gear box only instead of a new whole set? How to know that they have installed a new one?

Is there a warranty for replacing a new whole set of trans, as you are aware that the cost was very expensive?

I would like to get your proper advice on my questions above so I can discuss with the the ford / lincoln mechanic properly.

I am waiting your answer promptly.

Many thanks Bro.

There isn't a certain speed that it would need to be driven, it just needs to be driven in a way that allows for up and downshifting to all gears.

A vibration while driving at speed is almost surely not the transmission. If it was chattering or slipping at shifts I would suspect the transmission, a vibration is more likely tires or a driveshaft/ u joint issue.

I wouldn't have a way of knowing if they didn't replace the transmission without seeing the vehicle. I wouldn't have a reason to doubt them.

The terms of the warranty would be case specific and depends on where the replacement came from.

I am sorry for belated response. I understood your explanation.

Just today, the lincoln's garage updated me that repairing of new Transmission Is done after tested the car again. and while testing the vehicle they found that the fuel pump failed. He asked to change it. How much the best price of this part of Lincoln LS 2001.

This is will be my final question.

Thanks for the help.

Am waiting your estimated price

Parts and labor prices will vary depending on location but for a factory pump with labor the price would usually be int the $500 USD area.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician