Elizabeth
Elizabeth, Attorney
Experience:  Expert
108253547

Question regarding traffic citation cases. Maryland. I

Question regarding traffic citation cases
JA: What state was this in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: Maryland. I haven't consulted an attorney.
JA: Was a citation issued? Was a court date set?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I missed the court date and wasn't aware of it. I thought the tickets would just have to be dealt with through the MVA when I could afford to pay the fines but now I'm not sure how this worlds because I just found the cases still active in the court system.

Hi! I'm Liz and I've been an attorney for 6 years. Just so you are aware, JA is just a legal information site. We do not provide representation and no attorney client relationship is formed. You may get a prompt for a phone call, that is sent by the system and not by me. So it depends, if it was a serious traffic offense that could result in jail time, missing a court date could result in a warrant. For a non serious offense, you have two options:

1. Pay the ticket— This will solve the problem, fix any license suspension, and life goes on. However, I do not recommend this. By simply paying the Maryland traffic citation, you are automatically going to receive a conviction and any points associated with the charge.

2. Pay and reset for trial–This is the preferred option. Although you will have to pay the fine, you will get the money back if you beat the ticket. Just go to the Maryland clerk’s office in the county that you are charged in and tell them you want to reset the case. That way, you won’t get the points and the conviction, you’ll fix any license suspension imposed, and you will get new court date.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you for replying. So I looked at the cases on the state judiciary case website this week for the first time. All I wanted was to get things cleared and thought it was best to just try to pay what I can. I payed only one because I couldn't pay the other. But afterwards read up on this note and now I'm not sure what's going to happen with how I've left things after paying and accepting one of the charges. Here are images of both cases. The one with the $110 fine is the one I payed. The other one is for a bigger fine but I'm not sure if paying that too could lead to bigger legal repercussions. Thanks again for looking at this:

So paying your fine would lead to it being settled. You only need to attend the court date if you wish to challenge the citation.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Okay, and last question, sorry, would the fact that I'm 3 years late to paying these fines in full not be a problem or lead to any other legal problems? I just want to make sure.

So being late may result in additional fines, you also may have a bench warrant that you may need to address.