CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Experience:  10 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases
9540344

I recieved a speeding citation for going above 88MPH in a

I recieved a speeding citation for going above 88MPH in a 65MPH zone. What is the best way to go about contesting the citation, and should I even bother contesting it?
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Anaheim, California
JA: Was a citation issued? Was a court date set?
Customer: citation was issued. court date is 09/14/2020
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No priors. unemployed. full-time student

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Yes, you can and do have a right to, if you want to fight it.It is certainly in your best interest to retain a traffic ticket defense attorney to represent you. The first thing which they will want to do, is review the face of the citation and see if there is a legal basis to get it dismissed. If not, they will then have to look over the facts of the case and decide if it is in your best interest to work out a plea deal or to take the case to trial and make the State prove the allegation(s) against you. The officer will need to be present. If he/she fails to appear at trial, the case will likely be dismissed, unless a continuance is granted by the Judge, upon the showing of good cause. If the officer does appear, your attorney will be given a chance to cross-examine them and attack their credibility. The attorney is going to want to inspect their documents and log book, to make sure that the speed measuring device was properly calibrated, that they have the citation logged and are certified to use the equipment. Moreover, they will question them about their training and experience, trying to create doubt that they may have not known what they were doing and improperly measured your speed. They will also raise any other possible defenses, which you may have, to try and obtain a finding of not guilty.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Another question: Is there generally a fine for speeding? I went to pay for my ticket online, but it said I had $0 in fees due. If there's nothing for me to do fiscally, what is court necessary? Can you give me a rundown on how these situations typically work in the courtroom?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Why is court necessary?*****^^^
Court is not necessary if you have the ability to just pay it. Be aware that if you do it is an admission of guilt and will show up on your driving record. If you just received a ticket and probably still needs to be filed an appeal so I would give it a few days or a week and also if need be call the clerk of court.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Well, there was no fine to be paid. It said $0. Is this normal? Also, The officer who pulled me over mentioned attending driving school to avoid getting a point on my record. Should I do so? Would doing so be an admission of guilt?
No. If you’re able to exercise the option of driving school to avoid points it would not appear on your record. There’s a zero balance and less this has yet to be filed in the court system which is why I suggest calling the clerk to confirm and seeing
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Are you saying if I complete the schooling, my record is clean? Or would the infraction still be visible
You would want to see what options are available. By that I mean would taking it online driving school result in no points or a complete dismissal.https://www.courts.ca.gov/9410.htm?rdeLocaleAttr=en
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I see. Should I start now? I received the citation just last night and my court date is 09/14/2020
Since you just received last night that is why it is showing zero balance since it has yet to be entered. Once it is in the system and before the time expires you can decide how you want to proceed.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Another question: This might be specific to my insurance provider, I'm not sure, but will they be notified of the speeding ticket even if I attend driving school in place of a point on my record
Great to hear back from you when I kindly just ask for a positive rating as that is the only way the site provides me with the proper credit. If this is the semester there are no points it should not count against you and your insurance.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Full transparency, I don't want my father finding out about this. The car is registered under his name and is insured under his name. Even if it wouldn't count against the car insurance, do you think there would still be some sort of notification?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
You'll get a great rating, no worries
Notices could be sent to the house or something in your name to be honest. If you really want to try and protect your interest it is best to hire an attorney as I shared above.