How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Edward Young Your Own Question
Edward Young
Edward Young,
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 711
Experience:  Principal Attorney at The Law Offices of Edward D. Young, III
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Edward Young is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Received a speeding ticket in the mail from Wash DC speed

This answer was rated:

Received a speeding ticket in the mail from Wash DC speed camera—61 mph in a 50. How can I get it reduced to a lesser offense (ie. non moving violation)
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: In was in Washington DC
JA: Was a citation issued? Was a court date set?
Customer: Just received the citation in the mail. They are giving option to pay or fight it in court
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No additional info

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a few minutes to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

You should definitely fight your ticket in court. You stand a good chance of having your ticket dismissed if you request a hearing and file the motion for the production of exculpatory evidence discussed below. You need to mail a written request for a hearing, along with the ticket you received and your explanation of your defense (including any evidence), to:
DC DMV Adjudication Services
PO Box 37135
Washington, DC 20013

Follow the instructions on the back of the ticket. Along with the request for a hearing you should file a motion for production of exculpatory and other evidence. Here is a link to a sample motion: Adjust the facts to fit your situation.

You must file this motion to have a real chance at dismissing your ticket. You must serve this motion not only upon the Bureau of Traffic Adjudication Services, but upon the DC Police Department and include their addresses on the certificate of service on the last page of the form. Bring an extra copy of the motion with you to the hearing. The address of the Metropolitan Police Department is:
Metropolitan Police Department

Traffic Safety - Automated Enforcement Unit

2850 New York Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20002

The DC Police Department does not routinely allow police officers to attend hearings to defend photo enforcement tickets. Once you have filed your motion for exculpatory and other evidence (including the request that they produce a police officer to support the charges) you will be in a position to argue at the hearing that the case must be dismissed for the District’s failure to produce a witness to substantiate the reliability of the photographs or radar readings at issue.

For a more thorough explanation of this defense, go here:

I hope this helps. Please go ahead and rate me. I get no credit for my work for you until you rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question, I would appreciate it if you ranked my service excellent/5 stars at the top of the page. A BONUS is also appreciated if you think that I have earned one.

Edward Young and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: Or, simply request “Edward only” in the first line of your question.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sir, when I click on the link for an example motion, I get an error

Here is the correct link: