Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

If I am pulling into a turning lane and a car comes speeding…

Customer Question
If I am pulling...

If I am pulling into a turning lane and a car comes speeding down It out of no where am I at fault? A man in a truck was following his wifes car way ahead of the place to turn into the turning lane for the light on a***** I was not exspecting anyone to be driving down the turning lane and did not see him some how. I ended up clipping the man's bumper.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The accident was so minor he did not want to report it. But I want to know of I was at fault

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Traffic Law
6/14/2018
Traffic Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 1 month ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But I do not understand your specific question. What do you mean "speeding down out of no where"...was he exceeding the speed limit?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I am pulling into a turning lane that is so far from a light a vehical shouldn't be driving down to get to said light, am I the only one at fault for clipping their bumper? They came out of no where. It is a***** 3 lanes on each side and a turning lane in the .middle. I was going into the the turning lane out of a grocery store. Two cars sped in front of me right when I was turning. I clipped a trucks bumper. He followed me to my apartment that was on the same road and started yelling at me and called the police. He said he wanted me to get a ticket is why. Of course the police were not giving me a ticket for grazing his bumper. The damage was so minor he didn't even want to report it. But I am upset because I was told it was completely my fault. I think even o
If you see a car in the turning lane because it is no where close to the light that it's not unreasonable to think they are not going to come speeding down it. The man admitted he was following his wife. I feel like I didn't see them because they cut into the turning lane way too early. The turning lane had just begun for turning into the grocery store and was not meant to be driven down at that point. But they still sped down it even though they saw me turning into it.

So was that vehicle in violation of the law (either for speeding or driving outside the lane)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not know. I think going into the turning lane and driving down it might be a violation. It was not close to the light. It was a turning lane to get into the grocery store
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Photo

Thank you, ***** ***** minutes please, I have some thoughts and will type them up.

Thanks for your patience.

What you are describing, the “fault” will lie with whomever is “negligent”.

Under the law, if vehicles collide, the person who is negligent would be responsible to the other party for the damages incurred.

Negligence is, essentially, a 4 part test;

1. Duty- A driver owes a duty of care to other drivers…basically you have to be careful to drive in a way that will not cause harm to others.
  2. Breach- This occurs if the person does not follow their duty…if they do not drive with care
  3. Cause-IF the person breaches their duty…and that is the cause of the accident
  4. Damages- There are damages (monetary costs) associated with the accident.

Based on what you said, if this other person was not driving with due care…and you were? You would NOT be liable. Rather, they would be

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.